Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:02:20 -0400
From:      "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
To:        "'john253@crosswinds.net'" <john253@crosswinds.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Unable to boot 4.1.1

Ah!  I forgot you mentioned that you have a Compaq.  I'm happy with mine, though
I haven't set up a SCSI disk.  If you can, during bootup, you should have a
prompt in the top right of the screen.  If you haven't set the IDE DRIVE to
dangerously dedicated there should still be a bios partition(weird how Compaq
did that).  Anyway, hit F10 and you should be able to get into the management
side of the machine.  disable the IDE, because I have a feeling that it will
always try to boot from the IDE insead of SCSI(unless that's what you want.  How
old is this compaq, what model?  Softpaqs will do no good until you can
successfully hit F10 and manage your bios partition.

Call Compaq, wait 30-40 minutes on the phone until you get ahold of someone and
beg for a restore disk.  They will need your model, serial, next of kin, etc.
Personally, I have a Presario 4112(circa Apr 1996), with two sets of restore
disks.

You will have to bear with restoring all the way to Win 95 or what ever the
machines original OS was, then remember NOT to use dangerously dedicated mode.

One other thing, I for the longest, had the onboard video disabled so I could
install a better one in Win 95.  When I stared to mess with FBSD (2.1.6), it
would always report VGA0 and VGA1.  So, perhaps it may be setable in your floppy
kernel(maybe not initiall, but with the used of another machine you could build
a custom install kernel to get around the IDE problem.  That's what I did after
I got all my system info the 4 millionth time.  I always put in a smaller custom
kernel reflecting my machine when reloading my system from CD.  I'll look at all
my old Compaq stuff tonight and bring some info to email to you tomorrow