Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:25:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        Mike.Jeays@statcan.ca, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly article: Whence the Source: Untangling the Open

> >switching to Outlook, and me waving around a copy of "Outlook
> >Annoyances"
> >(377 pages, ISBN 1-56592-384-7) is not making me many friends in some
> >quarters.
>
> A developer in my area -- one who uses Microsoft tools in some of his
> products, in fact, refers to it as "Microsoft Outhouse (tm)." ;-)

I have a program called "lookout" that is specifically designed to
make messages in a POP3 maildrop "safe" for OutLook to download,
since the idiots who wrote it insisted on violating RFC 1939, and
attempt to assign meaning to the message contents (header AND body!)
while they are engaged in the download process.

This means that any OutLook bugs (of which there are dozens in this
category) in message interpretation can result in a "stuck" message
in the POP3 maildrop.

What's even more stupid is that OutLook can actually generate messages
that are structured in such a way as to trigger these bugs -- in
other words, OutLook can send mail that OutLook can't download.

There is a special place in hell for programmers that write code
like this; unfortunately, they aren't corralled to Outlook, or even
to Microsoft, for that matter.  Beam me up, Scottie... 8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.