Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:48:12 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk throughput

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:48:27PM +1300, Atom Smasher wrote:
> i've got this running in one term:
> 	systat -iostat 1
> and this in another term:
> 	dd if=/dev/acd0 bs=2048 count=123456 | md5
>
> apparently the system only knows about throughput of mounted disks?

It doesn't seem to know about ata CD drives, SCSI CD drives work fine.
Use gstat, which retrieves statistics at a different layer.

You should use a multiple of 2k (e.g. 64k) for blocksize though.
Just using 2k is likely to be much slower.

> is that a bug or a feature?

I would say it's a missing feature in acd driver.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd@bwct.de           info@bwct.de            support@fizon.de