Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:52:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Tony <tony@cyberosity.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Time

> I know there has been some paranoia on this list about doing the
> updates in single user mode, but I've never had any problem doing
> either a "make world" or a "make installworld" with the system in
> its normal operating mode.
>
> So, I'd recommend you do "make buildworld >& Make.out &" in normal
> run mode.  Examine the output file for warnings or crashes.  If it
> looks ok, then run "make installworld".  I doubt your users will
> even notice.

One time (ONE, out of hundreds), something got outta sync on one of the
machines I run doing a "make installworld" -- don't remember the exact
situation, but it was something like a binary getting installed & executed
before the library that it required was installed...  Not a big deal, but
my phone started ringing when a user wanted to know why his job didn't
work correctly.

Doing a "make buildworld" is (almost) absoultely safe while running
multiuser, and that's the part that takes so long...  If you want to be
extremely careful about it (and also a little anal), you can do the "make
installworld" in single-user after it's built in multiuser....

--mike