Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 09:26:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Steve C. Camp" <hobbes@ast.lmco.com>
To:        wjv@cityip.co.za (Johann Visagie)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT or AIT?

> Pardon the slightly off-topic post...
>
> For high capacity tape backups under FreeBSD, are there any particular
> reasons to prefer either DLT or AIT technology?
>
> I'm currently evaluating a Seagate Sidewinder 50 AIT drive, and I must say it
> seems to perform like a charm...

We have DLTs in robots here @ Lockheed Martin in Denver, CO.  They seem fairly
reliable, and hold lots of data.  That said, from what I have read about
AIT, I think you may be able to seek to any file on a tape with AIT in a matter
of seconds (20-40?).  So depending on your backup software, AIT may allow you
to restore individual files a lot quicker.  I do not think DLTs seek as fast
to individual files.

You must take what I say with a big grain of salt.  I would just use my
comments as basis for further questions / investigation since I am speaking
mainly from perception, not from hard, physical observation.  FWIW.

--
Steve Camp
EELV Unix Support