Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 00:50:51 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial->serial connection (sio0 -> sio1)

Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> >
> > Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
> >
> > >       There is a weird problem with the serial code in ttys. You have to boot
> > > with a comconsole before the tty will appear.
> >
> > Since when? This is absurd and I haven't observed it yet.
>
> I've seen something that could, possibly be 'similar'... If I use 'ttyd0' as a
> terminal in /etc/ttys - it doesn't work (or, rather - It does "appear" to work
> once I have COMCONSOLE selected)...
>
> _BUT_ if I use 'cuaa0' in /etc/ttys - I get a working terminal on COM1 -
> regardless...
>
> Maybe ttydX is more sensitive about handshaking / carrier detect or something?
>
> I'm not too clued up on the 'dialin' vs. 'dialout' tty/cuaa thing... Just seen
> something similar to the above... :)

	The problem with this is that the cuaa device doesn't handle the
problem of syslog writing to the console and to the terminal at the same
time (after all, that's what the tty device is designed to handle).
Errr... don't ask me how I know this...

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.