Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:59:51 +0300
From:      Vlad GALU <vladg@vipnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Policy Routing / NAT Question

--=..LvzpF'v5igMy/

On 11 Jun 2003 08:55:53 -0400
Ryan Wilkins <ryan@deadfrog.net> wrote:

> Hello..
>
> I'm setting up a TCP protocol testbed for testing various enhanced TCP
> stacks for use over high bandwidth, high latency links such as
> Satellite.  Due to hardware limitations of the FreeBSD boxes we're
> using(1U rackmount), there are no expansion slots left for additional
> network cards.  This forces me to have to run some traffic over one
> gateway and the rest of the traffic over another gateway, all through
> one ethernet. The problem I have is I need to change the source
> address of some packets based on destination address.  I was able to
> accomplish this in Linux using Source NAT.  I'm not real well versed
> in FreeBSD hence the reason I'm asking for any assistance here.  Does
> anyone have an idea how to change the source address based on
> destination address?

yes.

in the ipnat configuration file you should write something like this:

map <interface> from <source> to <destination> -> <nat address>

one thing though ... I've noticed the kernel trying to send the packets
on the default gateway, no matter what the <nat address> was. So I
used ipfw as well, for policy routing of nat'ed packets. I might have
done something wrong as well, I really don't know, but searching
the newsgroups archives I found no answer at all, and this seemed
to be the only option.