Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 20:03:23 +0200
From:      Carlos <webmaster@healthnet-sl.es>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Pavol Adamec <palo.adamec@tecton.sk>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virus on FreeBSD

Robert Watson wrote:

> [...]
>
> To protect the kernel properly, lkms need to be disabled at a sufficiently
> high run-level (possibly always), and appropriate file system stuff
> protected.  Personally, I like the idea of using a CD-ROM for a file
> system, but it's not so very fast.

A related topic: the FreeBSD handbook mentions a booting setup with
read-only media involved:

--- from handbook ---------------------------------------------------
24.1.4. Interesting combinations

Boot a kernel with a MFS in it with a special /sbin/init which...

[...]

E -- Acts as a firewall/web-server/what do I know...

     This is particularly interesting since you can boot from a write-
protected floppy, but still write to your root filesystem...

How far could one go with a custom CD-ROM used for booting ?  Has anyone
such a setup working ?

Carlos Amengual
Healthnet SL