Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:28:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd + NIS = bad mojo?

I'm upgrading my cluster to 5.0-R (fresh from CD), and everything works
swimmingly except logging in as user on the YPmap.

[3jane:~$] ssh ypuser@mcp
Password:
Connection to mcp.evil.mil closed by remote host.
Connection to mcp.evil.mil closed.

[3jane:~$] ssh user@mcp
Password:
<Happy shiny ssh>

However, I can su, finger and all files list the correct ownership on the
system, leading me to believe that yp is actually working.

When I check the logs, I see this message:
Feb  6 17:09:32 MCP sshd[562]: fatal: login_get_lastlog: Cannot find account
for uid 1002

Which I tracked to loginrec.c line 296:

       pw = getpwuid(uid);
        if (pw == NULL)
                fatal("login_get_lastlog: Cannot find account for uid %i",
uid)

And that looks idential to the working code on 4.6.2... So perhaps I've
missed some configuration somewhere or there is something wrong with the
library.

Am I missing something? (I don't think so, the configuration is identical
to the working 4.6.2 setup I was running until this afternoon) or is this
a bug?