Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:54:15 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Melik Bessaha' <seek3r@neurotic.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DBMS and BSD

Dear Mel,

> I was wondering as to which DBMSes most of you were running on our
> kick-ass O/S. :)  I have found it an unbelievable pain in the arse to
> run Oracle 8i, what with the severe lack of support.  And so I would
> like some input concerning your trials and tribulations and successes
> regarding the DBMS you use in conjunction with the jdbc
> drivers and jdks available to us currently.

I use MySQL for Orion with the mm mysql jdbc drivers. mm jdbc 1.2c works,
but is a bit buggy for some data types. Version 2.0.7 is better (Dave is
working on the port). All of this is with linux JDK 1.2.x and 1.3.x.

I'm happy with the performance and ease of use of MySQL. Never had any
reason to try another DB yet, so perhaps they are way better and I'd never
know. :-)

    Kees Jan