Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:29:48 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembling new machine

>> Cation is in order here, Bason Computer is a grey market drive dealer,
>> they purchase excess OEM inventory and sell it to anyone who will buy
>> it.  They tend to stand behind it very well for the 1 year Bason warranty,
>> but do not expect to be able to file warranty claims with the drive
>> manufacturer.

>     Thanks for the info.  I didn't know that.
>     I'm not too worried, though (although others may be).  Chances are,
>if the drive is going to die, it'll die in the first year (the IBM
>drives seem to have a pretty good reputation thus far ;-).  If Bason is
>pretty good about their one-year warranty, that's probably good enough.
>     Anyway, for future reference, does anyone have any recommendations
>for better drive vendors (ones that have the IBM DCAS drives in stock)?

I've purchased a lot of drives from Bason, and they have always been
very straight-forward and easy to work with.  Occasionally, I've had
to return stuff to them, and it hasn't been a problem.  Of course, I
try not to do that too often (I try to buy the right thing the first
time :-).

Yes, they are not going to hold your hand if you don't know which end
is up.  But if you know what you're doing, my experiences with them
have all been positive.

For what it's worth, I've also purchased several drives from MegaHaus
in the past, when their prices used to be really good (lately their
web prices have been on the high side).

I really don't have any complaints with them, either, but they are
basically in the same category as Bason.  FWIW, I had to return a hard
drive for repair to Quantum that was over a year old, but under what
MegaHaus claimed was a two year warranty.  MegaHaus said I had to
handle it with Quantum, and the Quantum guy said that I had purchased
an OEM drive that was only covered by a one year warranty, and that
MegaHaus did this on a regular basis.  Still, to Quantum's credit,
they fixed it for free, anyway.

If you want someone who will give you warm fuzzies, and take care of
any complaint, no matter how minor, these may not be the best places,
and you should be prepared to pay a little more.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.