Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:31:41 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps and top problems

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:09:39PM -0600, Erich Zigler wrote:
> I rebuilt my world and kernel recently and when I did ps and top I would get
> these errors...
>
> ps: proc size mismatch (36176 total, 1056 chunks)
>
> kvm_open: proc size mismatch (72352 total, 1056 chunks)
> top: Out of memory.
>
> Following advice I rm -rf'ed /usr/src and cvsupped down the latest 4-STABLE
> source tree. Rebuilt...
>
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildkernel KERNEL=
> make installkernel KERNEL=

Is this what you really typed? You didn't build a kernel. Userland and
the kernel are out of sync.

If you are building GENERIC,

  make buildkernel
  make installkernel

If you are building your own, you should be putting in its
name. Setting "KERNEL=" (setting the KERNEL variable to null) is not
the same as not defining it at all.