Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:42:50 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Hurf Sheldon <hurf@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Hroi Sigurdsson <hroi@asdf.dk>
Subject:   Re: cvsup/cvsupfile question

In the last episode (Mar 21), Hurf Sheldon said:
> Many Thanks to  Mark Murray and Hroi for quick answers.
> Since I've moved this to freebsd-questions at Hroi's suggestion,
> let me ask some questions...
>
> I'm curious:
> How would we set the cvsupfile to stay with 4.2-STABLE?
> Despite Mark's protestations to the contrary, I'm uneasy about
> putting "BETA" on my production systems. How long between
> a "I'll fix that tonight" update of a driver and the time that change
> gets rolled into the "ENG" code?
> Is there an easy way to poll the cvs repository for a list
> of valid version numbers/dates that can be requested?

There is no 4.2-STABLE.  In fact there never was a 4.2-STABLE.  There
was RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE, which was cut to CD, and RELENG_4, also known
as -stable.  You're cvsupping -stable, which is on the edge of being
released as 4.3.  They change the version early to catch possible port
dependencies on version numbers.  If you don't want to run BETA code,
wait a few days and the *exact* same source will magically become
stable again (4.3-STABLE).  Whew.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com