Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:30:08 -0500
From:      Jason Young <jyoung@accessus.net>
To:        'petro' <petro@She.wertep.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Promiscuous mode

It means something set your Ethernet interface "rl0" to promiscuous mode,
which allows it to receive all Ethernet frames on the wire it's attached to
instead of just its own.

Common applications that do this are tcpdump, trafshow and ntop. If you've
used one of these they will by default try and analyze -all- traffic they
can get hold of, instead of just that destined for one of your machines.

It is logged because it is a potential security issue. If you have not used
any tools like the above, you could have a password sniffer or something
like that installed without your knowledge.

Jason Young
Access US(tm) Chief Network Engineer