Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:44:13 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar

David Kelly wrote:

> > > Sure you can. You just have to escape them from the shell as tar
> > > doesn't get to see the asterix as its used above. Example:
> > >

> > I stand corrected. Traditionally tar can't handle wildcards when
> > extracting, at least all the *nix I've used (mainly SunOS) can't. GNU
> > tar has obviously addressed this.
>
> That's correct too. I should have pointed it out when I demonstrated
> FreeBSD's GNU tar would parse regex expressions. GNU tar's man page
> doesn't say much about it, I had to experiment to find that it worked.
>
> pax(1) goes to length discussing "patterns" so presumably it too will
> allow some form of wildcard matching from the command line. While pax
> is supposed to be a POSIX utility I haven't found SGI's, Sun's, and
> FreeBSD's to be as similar as tar between the same hosts. Heaven forbid
> but I found mention of pax in NT documentation. Found out enough to
> know its crippled so much that it can't talk to tape drives. What a sad
> joke.

Is NT's pax part of the POSIX compilant stuff in the NT Resource Kit?
This kit includes a version of ln. Now given that NT doesn't have such
things as symlinks what do you think NT's ln does? It copies the
file!!!!

NT == No Thanks

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com