Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:54:11 -0500
From:      Matt <datahead4@gmail.com>
To:        Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
Cc:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Effing HAL

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/29 Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
>
> The whole Xorg thing, at least on FreeBSD, is just a minefield. I like to
> remove unnecessary packages, to save space for when I do backups. I don't
> have an Nvidia card on this box so:
>
> pkg_delete xf86-video-nv-2.1.13
> pkg_delete: package 'xf86-video-nv-2.1.13' is required by these other
> packages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> xorg-drivers-7.4_1
   ^^^^^^^^^^
> xorg-7.4_1
>
> Great. So what is the point in having a separate package if I can't remove
> that damn thing? I know I can pkg_delete -f, but why make it hard?

The xorg and xorg-drivers ports are meta ports meant to make it easier
to just install _everything_ related to those two items.  They don't
actually install anything themselves.  You can safely delete those two
ports and then the xf86-video-nv port will not complain about being
required by other ports.

Matt