Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 09:39:33 -0700
From:      "Sean Kelly" <kelly@ad1440.net>
To:        <jon@welearn.com.au>, <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Including images in the documentation

> how are the disabled people who view these documents going to
> be able to decipher teh mess that said document will become
> when viewed through a text only interface ?

I don't see how these documents will become a "mess."  The print versions
will have figures in them (I've seen hundreds of textbooks do the same
without becoming unruly).  The HTML version will be like any other web
page, with a bitmap image where figures will appear.  And the plain text
version won't have any figures at all.

And how will people with disabilities read them?  Probably the same way
they do now: by using online browsers that accomodate disabilities.  I'm
acquainted with one low-vision and one blind user who surf the web despite
it being a highly visual medium.

Pictures go so much farther than mere text towards explaining an issue.
Imagine if Edward Tufte was told he couldn't publish _The Visual Display of
Quantitative Information_ because it'd be a mess for his disabled readers,
or that it'd be too difficult to produce.  Absurd!

> not every one has tommorrows hardware or can afford the
> required screen deployment to view teh ever increasing (in
> complexity and size) freebsd requirements

People have produced and read high quality computer documentation on modest
hardware for years.

And as for code bloat ... mention it on -hackers ... but be prepared to
duck and cover!  :-)

Take care.
--Sean