Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:04:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64M memory

On 10-Sep-98 Roland Jesse wrote:

() > Is there something I need to do to enable >64Mg on a 2.2.7 machine.
()  The 'problem' seem to be worked out. My 2.2.7 recognized all 128 MB RAM
()  out of the box.

AFAIR, there was the problem that older PC BIOSes don't write the correct
memory size into BIOS variables due to size limitations of that space. So
you probably have to put the max. RAM size FreeBSD should recognize into
the kernel config file for your machine. Have a look at the documentation,
but before, have a look at your kernel boot output (dmesg,
/var/log/messages) if it recognizes all of your RAM.

On my PII-300 (LX chipset mainboard) it worked out of the box, on an older
P166 (HP NetServer) only 64 MB were recognized, although 96 inserted.
After making a new kernel, if works flawlessly for months now.

This has nothing to do with bounce buffers. They are needed if you have
ISA cards doing DMA with more than 16 MB RAM, as those cards can only
address up to 16 MB. With VLB/PCI/EISA cards they are unnecessary.
An example is an Adaptec 1542B on a 486 board with 32 MB RAM.
They slow down the machine a little, but if you're running memory hungry
applications 32 MB RAM, it's still much faster than 16 MB and a machine
constantly swapping :-)

Regards,

Martin
--
Liebscher & Partner Werbeagentur GbR    //                    Martin Welk
Advertising, Art Design & DTP          //          network administration