Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 20:38:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Short summary

>     The one problem with this concept is that there is no easy migration
>     path getting from SPL ops to Mutex ops, because an SPL op currently
>     involves a bitmask of several interrupts rather then a single interrupt.
>     Thus the SPL ops would translate into several mutexes rather then a
>     single mutex and wind up being *very* expensive for the period of time
>     it takes us to then move onto the next step (collapsing them into single
>     mutexes again).   We were looking for an easier migration path in
>     order to try to keep the kernel runnable for the month or two (or
>     longer) it would require to get everything straightened out.

I think it's also fair to say that we'd be willing to accept a certain
period of outright breakage in FreeBSD-current if it gets us to the
right place, e.g. a painless transition is not necessarily the goal so
much as getting things done right.  We've gone through similar periods
with -current in the past and nobody had too much difficultly with the
concept provided that we ANNOUNCED it well in advance and told the
cvsuppers to basically turn their cron jobs off or elect not to try
and build the world until the tree was declared safe again.

- Jordan