Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:48:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/30425: having lots of random MTA userids is irritating

>Number:         30425
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       having lots of random MTA userids is irritating
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD hand.dotat.at 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC #4: Sat Sep  1 19:06:27 GMT 2001
 fanf@hand.dotat.at:/FreeBSD/obj/FreeBSD/releng4/sys/SHARP  i386

Both exim and postfix add users to the password file for sandboxing
the MTA. (qmail adds piles of them but then it's barmy.) It seems
to me that it would make sense to have a mail user installed by
default, and perhaps it could be used by sendmail as well. Something
like

mail:*:6:6::0:0:Mail Sandbox:/:/sbin/nologin

which I have been using for years. It's annoying to have to purge
the exim user after installing it.