Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:49:55 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, kwc@world.std.com
Subject:   Re: ext2fs optional features

Bruce Evans(bde@zeta.org.au)@Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 09:27:28PM +1100:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Mark W. Krentel wrote:
[...]
> > What are the optional features?  What does "sparse_super" do?
>
> They are extensions that modify the filesystem format.  I don't know
> exactly what "sparse_super" does.  FreeBSD's ext2fs knows even less.

AFAIK sparse_super is just a different density of super block backups on
your block device. in the old ext2fs version you had plenty of SB backup
copies on your fs which leads to slow mounting, etc., if your run for
example on a RAID which has a large fs on it so you got thousands of SB
copies to check (and of course update if you modify the SB). i guess
tytso revamped these structures a little bit to optimize the fs to news
servers since you got large spool areas on them... support was added in
the 2.1.x kernels and is told to be stable in 2.2.x. more information
could be in the e2fsutils package -- there are some other optimizations
as well, for example storing a mime-type with the file metadata (this
was not used yet i think, but since there is webfs -- a http server in
a nfs export vfs manner -- this option will become more important.

> > Does Linux actually use these features, or are they for future use?
>
> Linux has supported the ext2fs "filetype" and "sparse_super" features
> for several years.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be the default for the
> current version of mkfs.ext2fs.
>
> > Is it possible to support R/W mounts with these features?
>
> Everything is possible in software :-).

...if there actually _are_ changelogs in place ;-) source code management
is not one of linux's strong points...

/k

--
> knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil
http://www.webmonster.de http://www.apache.de http://www.splatterworld.de
(NIC-HDL KR433/KR11-RIPE)