Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:07:02 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kylin <fierykylin@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: misc questions about the device&driver arch

On Sunday 06 November 2005 06:14 am, kylin wrote:
> On 11/6/05, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > In message: <87ab37ab0511032030o134b9316j83295dd303e4e44b@mail.gmail.co=
m>

> >            kylin <fierykylin@gmail.com> writes:
> > : ///////////////
> > : pci bridge dynamic resize
> > : /////////////
> > : it seems that the device arch of freebsd is similar to what is reveal=
ed
> > : in window OS. i have read the pcie hotplug tps of windows longhorn ,it
> > : is said that with some hardware mechanisms the pci bridge driver can =
do
> > : global pci resource window reconfiguration.so good to the hotplugin p=
ci
> > : device for it avoid prelocating resource for the device .
> > : i wonder ,if the mem /io/irq reconfiguration possible under freebsd .=
:)
> > :  1
> >
> > Yes.  Cardbus does it all the time.  However, there's no pcie hot-plug
> > support yet, so the process for kicking off configuration of the new
> > device doesn't happen.
> >
> > Warner
>
> sorry for my poor grammar ,i think i confused the public:) i will make
> myself clear with the words below about the  PCI Multi-level Rebalance
>
> PCI Multi-level Rebalance in Windows Longhorn
> Updated: November 25, 2003

No, FreeBSD doesn't currently do what this decribes yet.  It would be possi=
ble=20
to do it by adding a new device_pause() method that drivers would be requir=
ed=20
to implement while the resources were shuffled around though and possibly a=
=20
device_unpause() method so that they could update their state if their=20
resources were changed while the device was paused.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org