Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:41:43 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Sam Hays <sam@ecofl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DualBoot issues

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:19:18AM -0600, Sam Hays wrote:
> Here's the whole deal,
>
> I have a primary and secondary HDD (1.6 and 1.2 respectively) -
> on HD1 I have Windows NT , on HD2 I have Fat16 (which I'm using as a backup
> drive right now) -
>
> What I'm wanting to do is, install freebsd on Drive 2 and somehow add it to
> the NT boot.ini boot loader (if not, I suppose I will go with the FreeBSD
> boot loader)

See http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN1648 for details of how
it's done.

>  - I need to know if freebsd 3.3 supports NTFS -

Yes (read-only).

> also, another scenario I'm worried about is -
> Say I install BSD - suddenly NT Crashes

NT crash?, Nah, never :^)

> and I have to reload - fine -
> NT always overwrites the MBR - thus making it (impossible?) hard to get into
> BSD again w/out reinstalling -
> can someone gimme some comments on all that?

No problem. Since you're using the NT loader to boot FreeBSD you
*need* the NT MBR in place.

I've been triple booting Win95, NT4, and FreeBSD using the NT boot
mangler for ages now. Works just fine.

> thanks
> -Sam

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller