Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 11:44:38 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders StandTogether"

Technical Information wrote:

> One of the biggest mistakes that anyone can make in this industry is to
> assume that technical superiority is enough to assure the success of a
> product.  How many technologies have we seen fall by the wayside in the
Pardon me for intruding with some pop sociological and political
analysis of the Linux and BSD communities :-) This is all gross
generalization and prone to bad logic.

Hackers and geeks are fiercely independent They demand complete control
over their personal domain. Unix is attractive to them because it places
them in control of their computer. Open Source unices are even more
attractive because it offers them even more control.

Individualists tend to fall into two broad political types. One type is
"hermit". They expect all other people to be equally individualistic.
They have no desire to tell others what to do. "If I can do it, so can
everyone else." They don't coalesce into communities very well. Warfare
with other communities and individuals is rare.

The other type is "tribal". They group everyone else into the ranks of
"elder", "us" and "them". It is okay to tell lower ranks what to do, and
it is accepted that lower ranks may very well tell the upper ranks to
"shove off". Community(tribe) is central, but because they are still
individualists, they choose their own tribe and sometimes change tribes.
Warfare with other tribes is common.

BSD land is mainly "hermit". It expects the newbie to be able to learn
how to do stuff on his own. Help is available but hand holding is not.
Warfare between the BSD systems is very rare. The BSD license fits
perfectly. "Do whatever you want with the code." BSD users could care
less what system other people use.

Linuxland is mainly "tribal". There are tribes within tribes, and they
all fight each other to some extent. If a newbie gets snubbed in one
subtribe, they find another. The GPL license fits perfectly. "Contribute
your code back to the tribe". Linux users often take great offense if
some else isn't using the same extact distro.

Just some random musings...

David