Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:22:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ls -C output with bash botched

Ok, I give up.  Time to be embarrassed.  Amazing
newbie question, though I have been everywhere looking
for a reference:

After resizing an xterm larger, ls outputs with the last column shifted way over,
and the cursor no longer works correctly (look at "stats").  The cursor seems
to jump past an area on the rhs of the screen:

rcarter@Chuska:/www/sites [112] /bin/ls chino
about.html      business.html   events.html     images          info.html                           stats
banner.html     chino.html      history.html    index.html      resource.html
rcarter@Chuska:/www/sites [113]

I resize the xterm again, this time smaller, and I get:

rcarter@Chuska:/www/sites [113] /bin/ls chino
about.html      chino.html      images          resource.html
banner.html     events.html     index.html      stats
business.html   history.html    info.html
rcarter@Chuska:/www/sites [114]

which is as expected.

This is bash2, and yes there are terminal escape sequences
in the prompt but no they don't affect output of ls, i.e.,
if I take them out I get the same result.

What gives?

Thanks,
Russell