Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 00:51:31 -0700
From:      Clay Jackson <clayj@seanet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP Configuration

OK - I give up!  I've seen this off and on in the message stream, but
couldn't find a definitive answer, and it's driving me buggy!

I have a FreeBSD box and two Win85 boxes.  I want to use my FreeBSD Box as a
"dialout" router to connect to an ISP and then route mail, etc from my Win95
boxes through the FreeBSD box.  My ISP "hard codes" IP addresses in a subnet
that is DIFFERENT from the one I'm using internally (I have a couple of
addresses in the ampr.org domain that I'm using).

With the help of the handbook, the FAQ and a few friends, I've gotten to the
point where pppd can connect to my ISP, and I can ping "outside" addresses
from my FreeBSD box. I've also set up my FreeBSD box as a "caching only"
DNS, so it knows how to resolve addresses.

I can also ping my Win95 boxes from my FreeBSD Box and vice-versa.

BUT, when I try to ping an "outside" service, such as mit.edu from my Win95
box, I get "request timed out".  It DOES resolve the address, and from the
looks of the SD light on the modem (connected to the FreeBSD box), there are
at least a few packets being sent to my ISP, but NOTHING comes back.

I'm thinking that this has SOMETHING to do with adding a route between the
ppp interface and the ethernet interface on my FreeBSD box, but I have NO
ideas beyond that.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Clay Jackson
clayj@seanet.com