Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:25:02
From:      SDalal@gnn.com (Sanjay Dalal)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation problems, etc.

Well, I downloaded the "bin", "compat1x", "compat20", "dict", "floppies",
"info", "manpages", and "proflibs" directories and their contents (all of
them), from the FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/ directory
from the "ftp.cslab.vt.edu" site.  I had previously downloaded the
"boot.flp" image, and using "rawrite.exe" created the installation boot
disk.  I have a Pentium 100/16MB RAM/1.6 GB generic IDE/etc, IBM APTIVA M55
computer.  I copied all the downloaded directories in C:\FREEBSD directory.
Thus, I have now C:\FREEBSD with subdirectories c:\FREEBSD\BIN,
C:\FREEBSD\COMPAT1X, .... C:\FREEBSD\PROFLIBS.  Next, I used "FIPS" utility,
(before which I had defragmented the hard disk using the defragmentation
tool from within Windows 95), and allocated about 400 MB for a new partition
and created a new partition.  FIPS created the new partition without any
errors.  Now, I am trying to install FreeBSD using the installation disk.
Everything goes well (most of my devices are configured correctly -
including the main ones like hard disk controllers, floppy disk, cdrom,
mouse, serial and parallel ports, etc.);  I go for the Novice installation,
and create the new partition, use "none" boot manager, Auto defaults for
various sub-partitions (like /, /usr, /var, /swap), and choose "MS-DOS
partition" for media.  Now, I had copied over the directories using FTP from
the mirror site as described before, and thus created the c:\freebsd and
sub-directories;  is this the same as copying them from CD-ROM as described
in the installation guide.  Well, when I go ahead for installation, I either
get "Failed to load root distribution; correct this problem" error, or when
the installation does proceed I get "Write Failure on transfer ! Wrote -1
bytes of 10240 bytes".  The Write failure occurs while/during creating
"bin", "dict", "compatxx", etc.   Thus, the installation does not proceed,
and I go back to square one.

Well, should I be using CD-ROM instead (was trying to avoid spending money
for it) ? or am I doing something wrong ? or should I have copied all the
directories on floppy-diskettes and then done the installation ? or the
files I have downloaded are corrupted (when I observe the screen using
ALT-F2 I see that when it's reading stuff it complains of bad checksum
header, corrupted data, etc.  however, when I downloaded the files I never
got any errors).  Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the files using a  28.8 Modem/GNN Web Browser/running Windows
95/ftp protocol;  the files were saved to the disk directly.

Thanks,

Sanjay Dalal