Date:      Sun, 16 May 2004 14:56:42 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        David Telyas <david.telyas@stofanet.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP Printer not working?

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:48:22 +0200, David Telyas wrote:

>I have an i386 running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and KDE, but I can't get my printer
>working. It's a HP Deskjet 5550 connected via USB. I've heard about lpd
>and cups, but don't know which one to use or what the difference is. So
>can anyone guide a Windows user to an easy howto?

Go http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=3DHP-DeskJet_5550
there and http://www.linuxprinting.org in general. Look at the LPD
instructions. Fortunately, your printer is supported perfectly. :D Oh,
and for your own sake, forget about the Common Unix PITA System. It's
far too complicated. I'll be glad to help you set up LPD.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc--