Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:37:23 +0000
From:      Howard Jones <howie@thingy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is sysinstall considered end-of-life?

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Apart from that, I used to be able to sysinsall a machine booting via
> PXE. This doesn't work anymore in recent versions :-(
> Or maybe it is just my incompetence, but then, if someone managed
> this, I'd like to hear about it.
This definitely works with 6.1-RELEASE, as I've just had the nice
experience of taking delivery of a dozen Dell servers and had them all
up and running with my own customisations and package selection in one
afternoon with one keypress. They are installed as quick as I can press F12.

> 2. it's way past what's currently considered "user friendly"
>
> Please don't get any graphics bloatware in the way. :-)
Amen.

Really, if you are put off by the installer, then once that has
completed., the rest of the "management tools" (i.e. vi) are not going
give you the warm fuzzies either. If you need the graphical management,
and nice installer, isn't that what PCBSD is for? Having a graphical
installer would be like having a super luxury limo with bar and pool,
but which stops in the desert and leaves you by a phone box.

Howie