Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:26:36 +0200
From:      "Andre Goeree" <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/28521: inconsistency: daemontools and serialmail

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:20:07AM -0700, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/28521; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
> To: Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ports/28521: inconsistency: daemontools and serialmail
> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:21:04 +0300
>
>  On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:10:19PM -0000, Andre Goeree wrote:
>  >
>  > >Number:         28521
>  > >Category:       ports
>  > >Synopsis:       inconsistency: daemontools and serialmail
>  > >Originator:     Andre Goeree
>  >
>  > 	After running /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/consistency-check:
>  >
>  > File setlock owned by multiple packages daemontools-0.70_1,serialmail-0.75
>  > For setlock, package md5 265449681efdd083aaa9c7b87243bea4 is DIFFERENT from \
>  > fs md5 of d71065ad7446e3f2cf1e8ad4d0aa509e!
>  >
>  > ago@mandark$ cat /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools/pkg-plist |grep setlock
>  > bin/setlock
>  > ago@mandark$ cat /usr/ports/mail/serialmail/pkg-plist |grep setlock
>  > bin/setlock
>
>  Just as a side note, completely unrelated to the problem report:
>  cat | grep is completely unneeded, unless you're cat'ing multiple
>  files.  'grep expr filename' works perfectly fine, and if you're
>  searching for a fixed expression, 'fgrep expr filename' is even faster.

Yes, I know. It's an old (newbie) habit that I can't seem to get rid of.

>  > >How-To-Repeat:
>  >
>  > install sysutils/daemontools
>  > install mail/serialmail
>  > run /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/consistency-check
>
>  As to the problem at hand, yes, there are several (I daresay even 'many')
>  such conflicts in the Ports collection :(  I don't think there is an easy
>  way to solve them, unless you get the various port maintainers to agree
>  that a program is not so essential, and it may be installed into a subdir,
>  or under a different name, or not installed at all..  With some packages,
>  changing executable names might even be a license violation..
>
>  G'luck,
>  Peter

Hmm. I agree, there's probably no easy way to solve these kind of
problems. The problem, in general, seems a bit more complicated
than I expected. Thanks for explaning some possible solutions.

In this particular case (serialmail/daemontools) the conflicting
files do not differ much. The files are from the same developer
and have probably the same function (are interchangeable/compatible).

The problem comes when one of the ports gets deinstalled and deletes
the conflicting file, it could still be needed by the other port.
A solution would be to not to delete the file but to display a message
about deleting the file manually when it's no longer needed, this is
already common practice with users (postgresql).

OTOH, a missing file would be a problem that you should notice soon
enough 8-)

-Andre.