Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 13:22:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Leigh Gaffney <freebsd@stgenesis.org>
To:        Bill <bill@wagill.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ircd recompile

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Bill wrote:

> I had to recompile ircd (in order to disable operator password encryption,
> and enable operator kills).
>
> I did a make on the ircd directory itself (where the server sources are).
>
> After the make was done, I noticed that the ircd executable was five times
> larger in size than the one originally built when I installed the entire IRC
> 2.8.21 port.
>
> Although ircd seems to be running fine, I can't help wondering why the
> executable grew five fold.
>
> Any ideas?

ircd as a whole is a pretty large program - dalnet is in the process of
re-writting the code for ircd to compact it more. My understanding is
that all of the ircd's are rather large.  I dunno for undernet and efnet
though, I'm most familiar with dalnet.  But as a whole the ircd is large
- just be worried if it runs at more than 20M in mem - that's the mem
leak which ircd and 2.1.0 experience - least on the dalnet code (upgrade
to 2.1.5 and it'll fix it for you)

-Leigh