Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:41:43 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        "jedihobbes@gmail.com" <jedihobbes@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad T43 strangeness

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 03:00:22PM +0200, jedihobbes@gmail.com wrote:
> It's not USB, it's the built in one. No USB related error messages,
> USB devices work. Moused fails, because it can't find /dev/psm0.
> AFAIK, the touchpad is a PS2 device.

Right, I didn't think of that. However, my touchstick thingy works
as well, using psm0. From dmesg:

psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

The trackpad doesn't work, but I have probably disabled it in the bios,
though I am not sure about that.

> As a thought, I just read in NOTES that adding "device acpi" is
> deprecated, but then if I take "device acpi" out and leave "device
> acpi_ibm" then acpi_ibm does NOT load.

I have no references to anything acpi related in my kernel config. I
have

hint.apm.0.disabled="1"
acpi_video_load="YES"
acpi_ibm_load="YES"

in /boot/loader.conf

>  Also, be aware that I have
> "hint.acpi.apic.0.disabled="1"" and "hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"" in
> loader.conf.

I have neither of those. Are you sure the first one is correct? Just
remove apic from your kernel config and you should be fine in this
matter. Does it work without the synaptics support? I'll try setting
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" once I have time and see if I can get the
touchpad working.

> One final note, if you look at the bottom of your T43
> under "Type", what does it say? Mine's an 1871-14G, which means no
> fingerprint reader, Intel Media Graphics Accelerator 900 instead of
> Mobility Radeon X300 and so on.

I have a 2688WC2, which has a (useless) fingerprint reader and an X300.

> So. Do I remove "device acpi" from my kernconf???

Yes. It will get automatically loaded at boot time.

> Will "device
> acpi_video" make any difference to the situation?

Probably not. I use a patched version of it in order to turn off the
screen backlight during suspend.

> What would make psm
> NOT detect the internal mouse when I have "device acpi" in my
> kernconf, as opposed to when acpi is loaded dynamically on boot? I am
> SO confused:-P

I don't know. Is there anything suspicious being logged during boot?

greets, t.