Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:23:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bc-freebsd@vicious.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: obscure panics under 4.0-STABLE

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Bruce Campbell wrote:

bc> Unrelated to my previous message, I've been experiencing odd panics on a
bc> 4.0-STABLE system whenever particular network processes (using promiscious
bc> mode) are specifically killed, specifically 'arpwatch' and 'tcpdump'.
bc>
bc> I'm not sure whether its a few suspend/resume cycles, a busy network, or
bc> changing IP address which is the initial trigger for the problem (which I
bc> cannot duplicate right now, in accordance with Murphy's Law).

Further information, it does appear to require a few suspend/resume cycles
to trigger a panic, ie, the below is attempting to kill tcpdump after
tcpdump has been running on a very unloaded network, then
suspend/resumed[1]:

	fault virtual address   = 0x0
	fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
	instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x0
	stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc931bd5c
	frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc931bd94
	code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
	current process         = 424 (tcpdump)
	interrupt mask          = net tty
	trap number             = 12
	panic: page fault

	syncing disks ... 6 6 4
	done
	Uptime: 10h55m3s

4.0-STABLE, painstakenly (P133) compiled from cvs.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] The wonders of sending one's laptop off to diagnose someone else's
    home network.