Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 11:47:56 +0200
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial Load of snd_maestro3.ko Causes Page Fault

On 2002-05-19 07:22:09, weeguan@myrealbox.com <weeguan@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> I have a DELL Inspiron 4000 that is tracking STABLE. Since around the time
> when 4.6PR came out, it has been having this annoying problem of panicking
> with a page fault at first boot-up just as the snd_maestro3.ko module is
> loaded.

I have recently acquired a Compaq Presario 7462 which also contains a maestro3
chip.  I load the module out of /boot/loader.conf.  The machine doesn't panic
here, but it does 'hang' (completely) when 'cold' booting the machine on
probing the module.  It loads the module nicely, then it starts probing
devices, and as soon as it reaches the Maestro chip, it simply hangs.

I need to reboot the thing three or four times before it continues booting.

> After the panic and a reboot, everything works fine and dandy. Reboots are
> working ok, but cold-boots cause the same thing to happen.

The funny thing is, when I load the module manually (kldload), I get a panic
immediately.

[...]

 - Philip

--