Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 08:42:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?)

> On Sat, 11 May 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> >
> > I can only imagine the associated 30-day-long fsck.
>
>     If you have 3TB of dirty filesystems chock full of files to check,
> it may be prudent to replace fsck with newfs in /etc/rc, if only to
> preserve your sanity.  ;-)

Be thankful our newfs is _fast_...  :-)  the one in Slowaris is
slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww...

There is definitely an advantage in parallelism within your filesystems.
It is an impressive sight to see news.sol.net first fsck /, /usr, and then
/var, and then watch a dozen drives suddenly chime in with a massively
parallel fsck  :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968