Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:24:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
Cc:        Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>, <freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Fore and VPI>0

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Taavi Talvik wrote:

TT>On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Harti Brandt wrote:
TT>
TT>> CP>Are you going to integrate it in FreeBSD distribution (release or stable) ? that would be handy.
TT>> CP>Since I am going to buy such card anyday now :)
TT>>
TT>> Well, I would like to, but my feeling is, that there is nobody in the
TT>> comitter team, who cares much about ATM. For the beginning I release it
TT>> as a source package for -current. Porting it to -stable would probably
TT>> possible, but not easy, because netgraph has evolved alot.
TT>>
TT>> I'm just finishing the CLIP module and the SNMP daemon. When this is
TT>> ready, I'm going to make a first release.
TT>
TT>Probably there will be more interest in ATM, when more hardware drivers
TT>will be available.
TT>
TT>I have got efficient 3060 ADSL card working (still very much work in
TT>progress) with NATM and planning to redisign driver for netgraph support.
TT>NATM is not very usefull in todays environment with pppoe/pppoatm/clip/..
TT>mix.

That would actually be easy. My own drivers (for PCA200 and 155HE) are
NATM drivers with three additional ioctl added (to get the QoS values down
to the driver) and a couple of ng hooks that hook into ng_atm. From ng_atm
you can go to whatever other netgraph module you want. If you don't need
signalling (only PVCs), you are done. If you need signalling, well, you
need all the other netgraph modules (ng_sscop, ng_uni, ng_ccatm, ...).

If you are interested I can send you the drivers and ng_atm to have a look
at.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private