Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:14:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>, freebsd_help@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mounting CD-Roms as a normal user

Otter writes:
> if you need to use root permissions as a nomal user
> *cough*mount*cough*, check out sudo. with out su'ing to root, i think
> that's the only way the cd is gonna get mounted by a user.

Not quite. You can set vfs.usermount to 1 (i.e. - as root, "sysctl -w
vfs.usermount=1") to let users mount devices - provided the device and
directory permissions allow it, and with no suid on the device. The
correct way to arrange for that to be set at boot is to add the line
"vfs.usermount=1" to /etc/sysctl.conf, possibly creating it in the
process.

The last alternative is to configure amd to automatically mount
cdroms. I can't help with that, though.

	<mike

> p.s. don't sweat it. we were all newbies once. just learn it and don't
> continue to be a newbie!

Always good advice.

	<mike