Date:      11 Jul 2001 19:24:41 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Rob Mosley <moze@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web-site

Rob Mosley <moze@kc.rr.com> writes:

> I have a question.  I thought I found web site with an interactive
> unix/free BSD for public use as a learning tool.  I have lost it. Is
> there one available? I have windows98/00 on my computer. Im having hard
> time with download instructions.  I tried to put it on through MS-DOS
> window but ...????  nothing.  I am sure it is not that difficult.  Maybe
> I am missing something.

You're probably missing something.

If and only if installing FreeBSD for testing on your home PC is out of the
question, then you might the testdrive program described below of some help.

Compaq has a nice `testdrive program', where you create an account to boxes
that run on Compaq hardware operating systems such as FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Linux, etc.  It's easier than installing these operating systems on
your home PC and fooling around.

One of the `bugs' is that they use telnet(1) instead of ssh(1).  But you will
not have a problem finding a descent Telnet client, no matter what OS you have
installed on your home PC :-)

I'm sorry for not posting the URL here, but searching for 'testdrive' at
<http://www.compaq.com/>; is what I always use to locate the proper page.
You'll have no difficulty locating it too.

-giorgos

PS:
Nop, I am not working for Compaq, nor am I affiliated in any way to the
company.  I just found testdrive *so* helpful that it still is the first thing
I recommend to people who want to `try out' a free Unix without actually going
through the pains of installing it.