Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:23:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting old PC to boot from new(er) IDE disk??!?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

{...}

> In case it isn't obvious, I'm not real familiar with PCs; nearly all my
> experience with them has been in the last 3.5 years, and that is just
> running FreeBSD.

You don't give a lot of detail about the machines (age, CPU) or the size
of the unbootable drive, but if your firewall system is sufficiently
elderly the BIOS may not be able to handle some of the contents of the
MBR.

I can think of two alternatives for this situation:-
- create a boot partition < 500M (you might need to fiddle with CHS values
in the BIOS to get it to work right), with another partition containing
the rest of the disk;
- use a dangerously dedicated MBR (last resort, as various people want DD
to disappear)

HTH

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616