Date:      08 Jul 1996 03:00:14 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        David Greenman <davidg@root.com>, Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing FTP thruput.

Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net> writes:

> This is reproducible at will.

> So now after I went to all the hassle to switch from BSD/OS to FreeBSD, I
> find I probably would be able to keep more users happier by changing
> things to NT.  This is depressing.

> I have the original article still, if anybody is interested.

Assuming you are using the user mode ppp driver...

I noticed the same thing when I upgraded from the iijppp that came
with 2.1.0-RELEASE to the -stable version (the -RELEASE version had a
habit of hanging up during long transfers, the -stable one doesn't
seem to).  Ftp rates dropped from a solid 1.4K-1.5K/sec (14.4K modem)
to about .57K/sec (from the machine directly on the other side of the
link, i.e. remote -> phone -> local).  My rates are back up to
1.5K/sec mostly (1.3K/sec if I'm doing interactive stuff over the
link, which is actually usable while ftp'ing now), after making a
slight tweak to the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.  I added the following
lines, I don't know which one is responsible:

set debug none
disable pred1
deny pred1
disable lqr
deny lqr

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!