Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:29:43 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: not too expensive intelligent hardware raid controller (level 0,1,5)

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:47:57 +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi dear freebsd fellows,
>
> I converted a collegue of mine, who works for the same customer
> as I to FreeBSD ;-)
>
> Now he is keep to play around a little with RAID functionality
> under FreeBSD. As far as I remember FreeBSD is still unable
> to boot from a Vinum RAID level 5 array for example ...
>
> So if he wants to run all from a RAID level 5 array he needs
> a separate intelligent RAID controller.
>
> He wants to buy this controller and disks used from eBay not
> to spend too much money.
>
> What do you think are rlatively inexpensive RAID controllers,
> that are worth to have look at it ...
>
> Used he doesn't want to spend more then $ 100 for a controller,
> I already told him -> no way, but I wanted to know if you have
> an idea whats currently the most inexpensive RAID controller
> so that he possibly gets one used for about this price ....

You might be able to find an Adaptec AAC-364, which was also sold as the
Dell PERC2/QC.

It is a 4 channel Ultra2 RAID controller with (I believe) a battery backed
cache, and I think it also has a hardware parity engine for RAID-5 parity
calculations.  It is supported by the aac(4) driver.

It looks like one just sold for $42.55:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2068336397

Although there are a number of other auctions with higher bids for the
same model card.

Keep in mind that you need newer than version 1.x firmware on these boards,
as the aac(4) man page states:

"This driver is not compatible with controllers that have version 1.x
firmware.  The firmware version is the same as the kernel version
printed in the BIOS POST and driver attach messages."

I believe there may be firmware available online, at least for the Dell
cards, but Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org> would probably know a little
more about it.

A better, faster, controller would be the HP NetRAID 4M, which is a quad
channel Ultra160 RAID controller, with a battery backed cache and a
hardware parity engine.  The same card is sold as the Adaptec 5400S.
(The NetRAID 4M has been on the market for a couple of years, so you're
more likely to find them on eBay than the 5400S.)

It isn't likely you'll find the NetRAID 4M (or the 5400S) for under $100,
though.  (Not unless the seller has a horrible feedback rating or
something.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry