Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:30:12 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

On 23-Nov-1999 Vadim Belman wrote:
>       Hi Daniel!
>
> On 23 Nov 99 at 11:17, "Daniel" (Daniel C Sobral) wrote:
>
>  Daniel> 3.x-stable doesn't have that much of a lifetime remaining. I think
>  Daniel> it would be better wait 4.x-stable.
>
>       Hm, I know few people who think twice before choosing FreeBSD for
>       their needs. They think versions change too fast. For some this is

        What do they think changes slowly enough ?

>       a sign of bad stability (heh...) others just scared of necessity of
>       following the releases.

        I suggest pointing them at the example of yahoo (an uptime was posted
here recently) as an indication that 'if you don't need the features you don't
need to upgrade'.

>       While I myself appreciate transformation of 4.0 into -stable
>       because of some useful features and changes I'm looking for, from
>       general point of view wouldn't it be better and make lifetime of
>       3.x longer?

        I rather expect that just as 2.x lasted well past the introduction of
3-stable so will 3.x outlast the start of 4-stable.