Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:26:38 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X-Windows

Huh?? I never wrote that :-)

> > On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 08:02:12PM -0700, Donald Burr wrote:
> >
> >> The probem that you mentioned is, unfortunately, a very well-known
> >> deficiency in FreeBSD.  But it's
> >> one that we're trying to fix!  For example, as mentioned earlier, we
> >> have
> >> tons of window managers/environments available in hte ports collection.
> >> But, We are also sponsoring a contest for people to actually DESIGN a
> >> windowing environment/theme that's appropriate to FreeBSD.
> >
> > Really? Great! Who's "we"? We haven't seen it here and I can't find
> > anything on the newsflash page. How did people find out about this?
> > What other juicy bits of info are we newbies missing out on? :-)
>
> I thought I posted a URL on this.  (Buti t wouldn't be the first time
> that my brain has returned an 'Error 404'.)  Oh well, here goes:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~jkh/xcontest/

You did give the URL before, no you're not going crazy (though we'll see
what we can do about that).

I was just wondering... were you sent to freebsd-newbies to give us that
URL and now we're the only people in the world who know about the contest?
Or does the whole non-newbie sector of the FreeBSD community know about
it already somehow? If so, how did they find out? However it was that
they found out, maybe they get other information that way too, maybe
other info that would be of interest to some newbies who rely on what
they see here.

> Actually, when I said "we", I meant FreeBSD as a whole.

Aah, so it's not something external; you meant us newbies too :-)

> I am not actually involved in this -- the people involved are Jordan,
> Gilad Rom, and Philip Salzman. But it can definitely be agreed on that
> this thing can only stand to benefit The FreeBSD Project and its users!

Sure, it's a great idea! Thanks for letting us know.

I reckon all newbies should have a go. Newbies are very creative, and I
don't want to win my 12 gig drive too easily. Who wants to be the
runners-up? :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-