Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 17:10:10 +1100
From:      "Jacob A. Hart" <c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New sound driver and Linux games

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Chris Piazza wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 05:59:14PM -0800, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> > > The new sound driver (I'm using pcm0 and sbc0) seems to break a lot of
> > > Linux-centric games.  Quake2, Q3Test, and snes9x (built from ports) all
> >                                            ^^^^^^^^
> >                                            not a linux binary.
> >
> > I noticed snes9x's sound acting really weird too earlier today.
>
> Yeah, I know snes9x isn't a linux binary, but it was written with Linux
> (and hence its sound system) in mind, not portability.  snes9x plays about
> a half second of audio for me, then loops it a few times before dying with
> either SIGBUS or SIGSEGV.  I've tried rebuilding it in case it had
> something to do with include file changes, but no dice.

I don't think the looping/flangy audio in Q3Test is entirely the FreeBSD
sound driver's problem.  I have a friend who runs Linux and uses the
ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) driver.  According to him, the
ALSA driver suffers from the same symtoms our sbc/pcm combo does when
playing Q3Test.  I don't know if he's tried running Q2 or snes9x using
ALSA drivers though.

It could be that the OSS Voxware driver does something "unintentional"
that some programmers are relying on.  Unreal Tournament and XMAME audio
works fine under newpcm, for instance.

Strange.

-jake