Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 101 03:18:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Przemyslaw Brojewski <przemek@my.tenbit.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are large uids supported?

Hello,

Man page for adduser(8) sais:

   uid     Automatically generated or your choice, must be less then 32000

I have to setup a mail server, that supposedly will have rather
large number of users in the near futer. I expect to hit the 32000 limit
in a 2 months or (optimistically) 6 months, and eventually go
100 000  and more in a year (or one year and a half). But to the point.

  Does FreeBSD support large uids (eg. 32bit long) in the kernel
  the filesystem, and apps (dump, tar, and the like)

  If not, will that support come in the near future? (that is, less then
  6 months)

  Or if it's not in -STABLE, is it in -CURRENT?

And easy questions :)

Why this limit has been choosen in adduser(8) while
/etc/passwd lists users with uids greater than 32000,
namely tty, kmem and nobody?

Przemek Brojewski.