Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:56:57 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        John <john@freebsdbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ES1371 - SB 64 PCI

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Geocrawler.com wrote:

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "John " <john@freebsdbox.com>
> Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> I know ya'll are probably tired of hearing quesitons about the
> SoundBlaster cards, but for some reason, good answers on the question
> of the ES1371 and FreeBSD are not availible.
>
> Basically, I've got a SoundBlaster 16 (SB 64 PCI card - Esoniq 1371
> chipset). I was running 3.2-RELEASE at the time i purhased this card
> (Yes, i know, ignorant for me not to check on things like
> compatibility :-P ). Searching through the mailing lists I read
> several posts about this card. One of which suggested that all
> -current's supported the 1371. So...I CVSup'd to 4.0-CURRENT, somehow
> thinking that maybe configuration for this device would be in LINT?
> Not being there, I went back to the mailing list, searching and
> finding a patch (ftp://ftp.thebarn.com/outgoing/es1371.patch).  So, I
> downloaded the patch, into /usr/src/sys/pci/ then performing a "patch
> es1370.c es1371.patch", then recompiled my kernel with "pcm0" and
> "pnp0" as well as (obviously) "pci0".  I then booted the new kernel,
> recieving the same message i had... pci0: unknown card DST1371
> (vendor=0x1274, dev=0x1371)

I have put up the /sys/pci/es1370.c and /sys/pci/es1370_reg.h that works
with the 1371 on my 4.0-current machines at
http://www.freebsd.org/~ghelmer/es1371/

> Now, I am not familliar with the process of patching, perhaps i did
> not apply the patch correctly?? There is no documentation to be found
> on this patch, just suggestions from those on the FreeBSD mailing list
> archives.

The patch may not have applied cleanly.  I think I had some rejected
chunks when I applied the original es1371.patch to the sources in
4.0-current.

> If anyone could help me out here I would be forever greatful, again I
> am running FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT, and as well, the line i placed in my
> kernel config file was device pcm0 at isa? port? irq 11 drq 5 flags
> 0x0 and yes, the card is at irq 11, and pnp0 as well as pci0 are
> configured in my kernel...I also performed a "sh MAKEDEV snd1" in /dev
> and still nothing. However even if i did not make the device entry
> correctly in /dev, that wouldn't cause the kernel to not recognise the
> card would it?

The lack of device file entries won't prevent the kernel from probing and
attaching the card.  I hope you have some luck with my modified patches.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer