Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@42is.com>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTN Emacs users; new Zile release

> Jamie Bowden wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Aled Morris wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone here actually get the point that a newbie can't use emacs
> > anymore than they can use vi?  I hate ee as much as the rest of you, but
> > it's small, and it tells the newbie which keys do what, which vi and emacs
> > don't do.

[..]
> 	but why make them learn ee key-bindings, and then when they
> 	move on to a better editor force them to learn a new set of
> 	key-bindings?  that's just torturing the poor unsuspecting
> 	newbie.  vi key-bindings are not an option--a modal editor
> 	will confuse the daylights out of them.  so lets make
> 	emacs key-bindings the system default for ee.

I don't mean to confuse things, but I don't know that that's
best.

Emacs is superior, hands down. However, vi can run in places
where emacs can't. I'm a sysadmin and what's worse, only seem
to have enough brainspace for one editor, so I only use vi,
even though emacs is fully configured on every system I use.
Learning a new editor when your system is hosed is the only
thing worse than learning a new editor.

My point is simply that consistency is what matters. If someone
is installing FreeBSD, they are implicitly committing to a fair
amount of learning. The point should be to make it easier to
learn the most important points first, and let them focus as
they will later.

My $.0x02.

-j, mainly a lurker.