Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:57:04 -0500
From:      Synapse Engineering <engineering@mem.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Requesting XFree86 Modeline for Sony GDM-500PS

I realize this is an XFree86 question, but XFree86 doesn't seem to have
quite the user support of FreeBSD, and I am running FreeBSD.

I am running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE with XFree86 3.3.5.  I just got a new
Sony GDM-500PS and I am looking for the modeline definition that will
drive this monitor to it's full capabilities.  The standard modes for
XFree86 are rather conservative.  The highest refresh rate I could get
with XFree86config was 60Hz.  It made me dizzy watching the screen
redraw before my eyes as I scrolled in Netscape.  The monitor's maximum
resolution is 1600 x 1200 / 85Hz.  I have it running at 1600 x 1200 /
75Hz with this modeline:

   Modeline  "1600x1200" 198.000 1600 1616 1776 2112 1200 1201 1204 1250
+hsync +vsync

It shouldn't matter, but I have a Matrox Millennium II 4Mb PCI card
which should be fast enough for the resolution I want.  If not, I have a
Matrox Millennium G200 8Mb PCI on the way which will definitely support
the resolution I want.

Does anyone have a GDM-500PS or comparable monitor who knows the
modeline I need?

Does anyone know where I can get a listing of modelines for standard
resolutions?  The XFree86 project does not seem to provide modelines for
all of the VESA modes.

Thanks.

http://www.spock.mem.net/