Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:15:35 -0700
From:      "Max Flatulence" <max_flatulence@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   dual fan inspiron, only one fan used

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and it has two cpu fans.  Under MS Windows both
fans are used to cool the cpu.  Under freebsd only one fan turns on.  This
laptop typically runs freebsd 8 to 13 hours per day.  The fan that runs
under freebsd recently died and Dell had to do an entire motherboard swap to
replace the fans.  Watching someone you have never seen before render your
laptop into a pile of components can be unnerving!

My question is this: Does anyone know of a way that I can utilize both fans
in the proper manner (both fans used, variable speeds)?

I have a friend with the same laptop.  He runs red hat linux and he found
something that controls the fans in the proper manner.  The application (I
believe it has kernel hooks) runs both fans at variable speeds based on the
temperature of the cpu.

As far as I have been able to tell, only one fan ever runs under freebsd and
it only runs at one speed.  I am concerned that the cpu fans are not
properly used and that damage is occuring to my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max