Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:10:37 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Nik Clayton wrote:
> The thorny question of "What do they have to include and still call it
> FreeBSD?" is resolved by saying that any FreeBSD distribution must
> include, as a minimum, the contents of the "mini" ISO (including
> sysinstall).  Anyone that wants to include an alternative installation
> routine (open or closed source) can do, as long as sysinstall is still
> there.  Then the FreeBSD docs can continue to refer to sysinstall, and
> the project doesn't get flack if someone puts together a distribution
> with a crap installer, because sysinstall will always be there as a
> fallback.

First: sysinstall must die: this is non-negotiable.

Second: it is an albatross, and forcing people to
include it is obnoxious, and definitely not in the
long term best interests of the project.

Third: tying the hands of distributors with regard
to what they "must" distribute is stupid: you might
as well GPL the damn thing, and call it a day, if
you want that level of editorial control over third
party distributors content.

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to trust people
to do right by the project; I'd be happy with an X
server that configured itself in software, and with
a default boot-to-X and that Java version of the
InstallShield product.  I'd also like to see someone
produce a handicap accessible version of FreeBSD:
e.g. there would be no sysinstall.  I'd like to see
a distribution that Installed multiple roots, and
supported fail-over booting like nextboot used to.
And I want to see a distribution where / is mounted
read-only, with only the necessary parts being mounted
writeable at all.

Making people keep sysinstall precludes innovations
which make FreeBSD more accessible to more people,
and broaden the user base.

-- Terry